Sunday 4 January 2009

My 5 songs...

So Freddie threw down the gauntlet to post my all time favourite songs in the entire world - gah! I'm sure thats impossible. Actually, it is impossible because the final 5 songs I've chosen cannot even begin to reflect my taste in music. Nethertheless, I have chosen 5:

1. Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones
This is one of the first songs I remember hearing as a child, when my dad used to play some of his music on a Sunday afternoon while reading the Sunday newspapers. This song has always been one of my favourites because of the way it builds at the beginning, the rifts, and the way it always makes me want to jump around!

2. Sally's Pigeons by Freddie
I'm not saying this one just because Freddie set down the challenge - I genuinly love this song to bits! Its in my top 10 most played songs on my iPod (and about 4 other tracks are in my top 50!) Freddie gave it to me just before I left for uni, and it just reminds me of the innocence of childhood. Just a brilliant song!

3. Fix You by Coldplay
I love Coldplay so I really couldn't decide which song to choose. Fix You has always been one of my favourites because of the story behind the song (Chris Martin wrote it for his wife Gwyneth Paltrow after her father suddenly died)

4. Society or Guarantee by Eddie Vedder (from the film Into The Wild)
This film has completely changed my world and the soundtrack to it is amazing. I keep banging on about this film to everyone I know because it is a film that everyone should see. The music makes me cry everytime I hear it, especially these two songs, which is why I chose two here, because I couldn't choose between them!

5. Lelilungelo Elakho by Ladysmith Black Mambazo
I have had African music played to me all my life so it was again very difficult to chose just one song that is my all time favourite. I suppose this one beats the rest because a) this song used to put me to sleep, and b) it seems to have popped up at important times in my life.

It was so difficult to chose just 5, and I haven't even included any of my favourite classical music which could take me forever to decide. I'd include Nyman's The Heart Asks for Pleasure First, Flying over Africa - John Barry, O Fortuna - Mozart, Vissi D'arte from Tosca, oh the list could go on......

But I suppose these 5 mean the most to me, and are the songs I could never live without....

No comments: